Play baccarat online
According to historians, baccarat appeared in Italy in 1490, before being exported to France in the 19th century where it was adopted by the aristocratic class. This card game was popularized in the 60’s thanks to its appearance in the movie Dr. No, the first of the James Bond saga.
If baccarat is now a world-known game, it is still often reserved for a more elitist class who like above all to enjoy this game in the VIP lounges of land based casinos. Still less widespread in Europe, baccarat should above all its success to the different virtual versions offered in most online casinos.
Summary of baccarat rules
The baccarat is traditionally played with 6 decks of 52 cards, around a table where the player meets (up to 14 players can be accepted at a land casino) and the dealer (bank). The goal is to guess which of the two hands (the player’s or the dealer’s) will get as close as possible to the 9 points, or bet on a tie. Before each match, the player will choose his “field” by placing his chips in one of the three areas reserved for bets: player, banker or tie.
Values assigned to different charts:
- the low cards (2 to 9) that maintain their nominal value
- the high cards (10) and the figures (Jack, Queen and King) that are worth 0 points
- the Ace, with 1 point
To calculate the value of a hand, add the value of each of the cards received. If the result is equal to or greater than 10, only the right number will be considered. For example, if a hand consists of a 9 and a 7, totaling 16, the final value will be 6 points. Thanks to this particularity, the value of a hand of baccarat will always be between 0 and 9 points.
Here are the different steps that make up a game:
- Placing bets: The player places his chips in one of the three zones corresponding to his prediction (wins the player, wins the bench, or draws).
- Deal of the cards: The dealer distributes two cards to the side of the player and two cards to the side of the bench.
- Natural Baccarat: If one of the two parties obtains a hand of 8 or 9 points (a “natural”) and the other party does not obtain a more satisfactory result or in case of a tie, no other additional card is distributed and The game ends here.
- Rule of the player: If neither party has achieved a “natural” and the value of the hand reached by the player is 5 points or less, a third card will be distributed to him.
- Bank rule: If the dealer’s hand is worth 3 points or less, the dealer will withdraw a third card. Also in the following cases, the dealer will receive a third card: if your hand is worth 4 points and the player’s hand is between 2 and 7 points; if your hand is worth 5 points and the player’s hand is between 4 and 7 points, and finally if your hand reaches 6 points and the player’s 6 or 7 points. If your hand is worth 7 points or more, the dealer will not be entitled to a third card.
- Payment of the prizes: If the player has bet on the winning hand, it will be paid 1 against 1. If you have predicted an equality, the ratio is 8 against 1. Otherwise, you lose the bet.
It is important to know that if the player and the dealer get a “natural”, it will be the stronger hand to take the prize, except in case of a tie in which the initial bet is returned to the player.
Although these rules may seem somewhat elaborate, baccarat is a game of chance. The house advantage is only 1% for the “banking” and “gambling” bets, meaning roughly that you have a chance on two to win. It is, however, unwise to bet on a “draw”, since the casino advantage is 14% in this case!
Play baccarat for bitcoin
For more information on this topic: now that you have mastered the basic rules of baccarat, we suggest you go to our free games section to discover the different virtual variants. You will then be able to familiarize yourself with the game table and the types of bets available before you start playing in real mode. You can also deepen your knowledge about this exciting game through the various articles in the bitcoin casino guide.